Spring and summer are fast approaching which means open toed shoes and sandals. That means you need to get your toes and feet looking their best and you can do this easily with an at home pedicure.
You don’t have to spend a lot of money at a spa or salon to get a nice pedicure for your feet. You can save a ton of money and even have some fun girly time giving yourself a pedicure at home. It is actually quite easy to do and you will love the way your feet and toes feel afterwards.
There are some extra added items you may need before you start your pedicure at home, so be sure to read through the whole process first to make sure you have all the needed supplies.
*There are pedicure kits that can help you with a home pedicure and most are rather affordable, but you don’t absolutely need one.
1. If you have any type of nail polish on your toes you need to remove it before you get started on your pedicure. Instead of using cotton balls, use a cotton pad as cotton balls can leave fuzzes. Once you have removed the nail polish with remover, wipe the nails down with a clean cotton pad.
2. Use a good pair of nail clippers to cut your toe nails straight across. Try to avoid cutting them from the sides as this can cause ingrown toenails, which are very uncomfortable and painful. Cut your nails so that they don’t extend past the tip of your toe.
3. Use a nail file to make soft round edges. Don’t file back and forth but stay with one direction only as this gives you the best results and cuts down the damage you may do to your nail.
4. When it comes to a do it yourself pedicure you want to concentrate not just on your toes but on your entire foot. If you don’t have a ton of time you can skip this step as well as the next one, but it is definitely a good idea to include it in your home pedicure.
Apply a cuticle remover to your cuticles on your toes and then soak your feet in a tub of warm water. You can soak them in a large bowl or you can use your bathtub as long as your feet are completely covered for around 5-10 minutes. You can keep one foot in the warm water as you work on the other one to help keep it smooth.
5. Apply a foot scrub to the bottom of your foot, focusing on any areas where you particularly have a lot of dead skin such as the heel area. Use a pumice stone or foot file to exfoliate dead skin from the heels of your feet. Once you have removed the dead skin from the heel and sole of each foot, massage a moisturizing lotion into this area of your foot.
6. Gently push pack your cuticles using a cuticle stick. Pick out the perfect nail polish for your home pedicure and put in place pedicure toe separators so you don’t smudge your nail polish.
Apply a base coat of nail polish using the classic 3 stroke technique, swipe the brush down the middle and then down each side to cover the entire toe nail. Take your time and don’t rush through this. Add a coat of color and a top coat.
Or after your base coat you can choose to do a French manicure/pedicure look and only paint the top of the nails with a white or light pink color. Then apply a glossy top coat to give your toe nails the finished look.
Some Home Pedicure Tips
Make your at home pedicure more relaxing and enjoyable by placing some nice relaxing music and even lighting some candles in the bathroom. Even though you are doing the work, setting the mood makes it so much more enjoyable.
Be sure that you have a few bat towels laid on the floor and kept handy in case you have any spills with the water or you need wipe your hands quickly. This saves you from the trouble of having to run around looking for a towel if you spill water or even nail polish on the floor.
You don’t have to spend a lot of money on pedicure kits (here is one for around $20) and you can actually cut back on some of the other supplies used as well. In fact you can totally skip the exfoliating if you want or if you are in a hurry and just do the steps that pertain to your toes.
Have a fun night in with your girlfriends and do home pedicures. This way you can have someone actually paint your toe nails for you in case you have trouble doing them. This can be a nice girl’s night in where you can just spend some time with your friends. You can even have fun with the Orbeez soothing spa on your girl’s night.
If you follow these steps and pedicure tips you may just enjoy your home pedicure so much that you don’t ever pay someone to give you a pedicure again. Imagine all the money you can save and how nice your feet will still look.